Copyright Information


2006-2015. Copyright of photos, art and content is retained solely by the author of this blog. Please email for re-use permission.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

RRAA "New Works" at Loma Colorado Library


The works you see here are on exhibit at the Loma Colorado Library as a part of the Rio Rancho Art Association annual juried show, "New Works". Happily, all three of my entries were accepted!. The exhibition runs from Sept. 1- 29th, 2009. If you are interested in attending the reception, it is on Saturday, Sept. 12 from 2-4 p.m. at the library.



“In Vacuo”
(25" x 25" framed: $650.00)


Medium: mixed media on paper

“In Vacuo” is Latin for, “in a vacuum”. In a way, it is very much so related to my other mixed media piece in this show, “You Don’t Know” because not only were they executed at the same time, but the content of both pieces are not completely dissimilar. It too is a process painting.
The underpainting of this was from another artist. I had bought the paper at an estate sale of someone who had passed away. It felt strange to buy a piece of art that was only in it’s development stage, but I felt compelled to do something to it to finish it. It felt like a collaboration with someone in another realm. Here’s what it looked like:





In this image, I had already begun to introduce my marks, but for the most part, the integrity of the original image is still there.
This piece has to do with isolating one’s self; protecting one’self from the bombardment of life. The only way one can successfully do this is to keep themselves in a vacuum. Whether or not that is a good or a bad thing, I’ll let you be the judge.






“Colors of Time”
(16 1/8" x 24 1/4" on canvas: $350.00)


Medium: Photography on canvas

One of the things that I am most passionate about in my photography is capturing images of things that most people walk right by. I’ve named this approach that I embrace a “celebration of the mundane”.
This image is no exception to that rule. I was at the Petrified Forest State Park in AZ soaking it all in. And taking lots of photos, of course. This piece of petrified wood is near a curve on the pathway. It caught my eye (I love detail). To get this shot required my being on the ground (which happens often); which is why most people probably just pass it by.
What I was most astounded with was the amount of color in this band of wood. I found it to be absolutely breathtaking. In real life, the actual size of the image area you are looking at is less than three inches. I thought that making the image over sized was a good treatment of the image.
I’m sure you ‘get it’ as to why I named it, “The Colors of Time”.



“You Don’t Know”
(16" x 20" Framed: $650.00)


Medium: Mixed Media on wood

By Paula Scott

Often, when I work in the realm of mixed media, an event occurs with me that I call, “spontaneous combustion”. The piece just unfolds itself on its own right before my eyes. That is exactly what happened here.
The image came to me intuitively; nothing about this painting was pre-planned in the conscious sense. This kind of painting is often referred to as, “process painting” where one gives up the habitual modes of painting and gives in completely to the intuition. I find the process approach to be very liberating and satisfying. Not only is this process liberating, but often it is cathartic and healing.
The name of the work, “You Don’t Know” speaks of the raw emotion that we keep bottled up inside ourselves as a result of conflict or pain. It is a vulnerable state to be in. It involves intense emotions.
I believe that the eyes are the windows to the soul. We spend all of our waking hours keeping the curtains drawn on these windows; not allowing anyone a peek inside. Hence, the name of the piece.